10/09/2003

It occurs to me that Zach's aspersions about my personal hygiene may be a hint that I haven't yet responded to his latest thoughts on Rush, the Right, and such. I don't think there's much left to say. I of course agree with Zach that gloating at embarrassments of political enemies is less constructive than learning from them - that's, in fact, exactly what I was endeavoring to do. I, like Zach, appreciate "insight both strategic and theoretical into the ways in which ideologies of control and strategies of Empire are linked" - I stand by my original (if I may be so bold) insight that the role of the right's class agenda in determining the application of its social agenda raises questions about the integrity of the latter and the relationship between the two. On the other hand, while I share Zach's aspiration of "destablilizing the structures of gender, sexuality, and race," I don't find the use of the term "minority" to refer to groups that are, empirically, smaller in this country than the majority along whichever axis we're referring to a particularly problematic terminology. I would also maintain that while identities are constructed, they exist, and factual explorations of the breakdown of identities - who identifies how? what else do they have in common? where do they live? how are they changing? - in this country should be marshalled by the left rather than condemned and left as the province of the everyone else. Finally, resoundingly, I would affectionately but bitingly make a comment to the effect that sometimes we have to choose between laundering clothes and organizing a movement and then sing Pete Seeger's rendition of "Which side are you on?"

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home