1/15/2004

In today's YDN, Benita Singh recounts a disturbing experience with the State Department: Last December, I received an internship at the Embassy in San Salvador. Yet in May, four weeks before my internship was to begin, I received phone messages regarding my "foreign-born relatives" and "extensive travel overseas." When I told my parents about the calls, they were impressed by what they perceived as my friends' witty pranks. "Foreign-born relatives?" my mother said incredulously, "people from the government don't talk like that." Unfortunately, my mother was wrong. The calls were from an actual State Department investigator who I met outside of Au Bon Pain last May. After asking about my grandparents' places of birth, the dates they left Pakistan during the Partition, my parents' U.S. citizenship, and my own "extensive travels," he told me that my security clearance would be rescinded, and that I should arrange alternate plans for the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home