4/22/2004

A first-year at Yale Forestry School writes about the impact of tuition debt on students: My involvement with local groups and communities has provided many important lessons on resource control and the inequalities of decision-making regarding their use. After graduation from Yale I would like to return to Ecuador or be involved from the United States, perhaps working for an NGO. But I fear it won't be possible for me to continue this work -- work I have trained for at the environment school. My decisions after I graduate will be guided primarily by my debt. In order to pay off my loans by the time I am 50 I will have to take a job ill-suited to my interests and training. I fear I may end up a consultant to those who want mine Intag's rocks, instead of asking how mining the cloud forest can even be called "development."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home