5/21/2004

When it starts like this... I think I can explain what happened, but first I have to tell you about this wild typing race I recently had with an 8-year-old Indian girl at a village school. ...you know it's Thomas Friedman. In this particular case, he's spinning his wheels trying to reframe Indians' overwhelming rejection of the neoliberal economics of the BJP as a request for more globalization. As a neoliberal evangelical, Friedman has no choice but to believe that the persistence and expansion of an underclass under globalization is a result of too much government interference in the economy (read: corruption), rather than too little (read: social welfare). Color me unconvinced. But maybe that's just because I've never been to "India's Silicon Valley" and had a typing contest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home