7/11/2004

Look like there's at least one Illinois Republican out there who wants to challenge Barack Obama for Senate: Dr. Andrea Grubb Barthwell, a Chicago-area physician, had been deputy director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy in Washington since 2002, focusing on reducing demand for drugs. Federal law barred her from seeking the Republican nomination while she worked for the government. Barthwell, 50, said that no one had assured her that she would be the GOP candidate. ``I'm interested, I want to be considered and I will make myself available to those who make that decision,'' she said, ``but I am not assuming that I will be the candidate and I am not assuming that once I get all the information that I need, that I would want to run in this particular race.'' Financial backing from the party is one big issue, she said. Another is just how much support the candidate would get from the national party. If Barthwell were chosen to face off against Democratic state Sen. Barack Obama, it would be the first time in U.S. history that two black candidates have battled for a Senate seat. Obama's spent his career fighting racial and economic injustice in education, in voting, in employment, and in the crimminal justice system. Meanwhile, Barthwell's spent the past few years fighting medical marijuana. Bring it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home