Real, real strong turnout at today's protest on the eve of the Republican National Convention. Certainly much larger than either of the anti-war rallies I attended in New York a year and a half ago. There may have been little shared ground among the protesters beyond opposition to Bush, but that message came through loud and resoundingly clear, and is about as much information as the mainstream media can be expected to communicate anyway. Speaking of which, the most telling moment for me may have been when thousands of us, in the middle of a protest easily several hundreds of thousands large, were causing a ruckus around the Fox News Headquarters. We looked up to the channel's gigantic display overhead, and what was on Fox News? A discussion of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. That, ladies and gentlemen, is as concise a statement of the problems with the corporate media as any. The question hanging over the protest was what, in the event of a Kerry victory, becomes of this several-hundred-thousand-strong group, some of whom chanted Kerry's name and others of whom wore masks mocking his face. How do those of us who identify as the left, re-energized and validated by the devastation wrought by the sitting President, organize with the same extent of urgency and breadth of coalition to hold accountable his replacement?
- Name: Josh Eidelson
- Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Josh Eidelson received his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Political Science from Yale University, where he helped lead the Undergraduate Organizing Committee. He has written about local and national politics as an opinion columnist for the Yale DailyNews, a research fellow for Talking Points Media, and a contributor to CampusProgress.org. Views expressed here are solely his own. Contact: "jeidelson" at "gmail" dot com.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Prospect
- American Rights At Work
- Barbara Ehrenreich
- Campus Progress
- Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Change to Win
- Daily Kos
- David Sirota
- Democracy for America
- Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting
- Finnegan's Wake
- Greg Palast
- Hyperempathic Politics
- Human Rights Watch
- Immigrant Worker Freedom Rides
- In All My Years
- Jewish Labor Committee
- Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Labour Start
- Left in the West
- Mah Rabu
- Mother Jones
- National Interfaith Committeee for Worker Justice
- Nathan Newman
- The Nation
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- New Israel Fund
- Progressive States Network
- Progressive Patriots Fund
- Progressive Review
- The Reaction
- Talking Points Memo
- TPM Cafe
- Wal-Mart Watch
- Weapons of Class Instruction
- Working Life
- Former Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes describes he...
- Neil Sheehan on what the Swift Boat Vets have miss...
- The Labor Department is taken to task for railroad...
- Protesters and police prepare for a showdown: T...
- Contrarian bicyclists protest Bush and take arrest...
- Well, this would be a first for him: Bush: 'I a...
- Speaking of regimes which harbor terrorists: A ...
- Kerry calls for stronger consumer protection: W...
- If we're turning a corner, it must be in the wrong...
- So much for the problem being "bad apples": Cla...