12/13/2004

Evan takes the Teaching Fellows Program Web Survey up on its attempt to make sure his job description is accurate:
Only at a very conservative estimate of a single hour of preparation and a single hour of grading, plus office hours and teaching staff meetings, does a 20 hour figure become possible; but with 14 students in their second year of language study the grading perhaps more than any other part of the course yields significantly more work-hours per week. My hours are usually in the range of 30 per week. I have discussed this issue exensively with my language coordinator and the chair of my department. The amount of work stems not from a departmental requirement but rather from the actual pedagogical task of providing top-quality language instruction. I think all parties acknowledge the value of the teaching program to my own professional preparation, but the fact that the work exceeds 20 hours per week by virtue of its very nature makes it an additional challenge for me to have as much time as my TF 3.5 colleagues for my own academic needs. Indeed, the University''s own Prown Report (1989) documents how graduate students teaching language on the whole take longer to finish their dissertations as a byproduct of the additional amount of effort involved in their teaching. I do not seek an adjustment in my teaching responsibilities, rather an improvement in the compensation I receive for my efforts. To this effect please reference the grievance of which I was a co-signer that was filed with the Graduate School in April. I am committed to providing the best possible classroom experience for my students, and accordingly I think Yale should be committed to supporting my ability to do just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home