Thursday while I was on a community service project with Mexican students in Puebla, a few seven year-old boys who I'd been playing with for a while told me matter-of-factly that they didn't like Americans because we all wanted (loosely translated) "to conquer Mexico." I suggested that the US in fact had no designs on its southern neighbor, and we discussed the difference between the policies of a country's government and the sentiments of its people (turns out they're not big fans of Vicente Fox either). So quick, someone call Karen Hughes and tip her off that it's not just in the Middle East that they "hate us for our freedoms." Unless, that is, there may be some other reason that hearts and minds the world over are finding the concept of America as an arrogant imperial power more credible than they might have a few years back.
- Name: Josh Eidelson
- Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Josh Eidelson received his Bachelor's and Master's Degrees in Political Science from Yale University, where he helped lead the Undergraduate Organizing Committee. He has written about local and national politics as an opinion columnist for the Yale DailyNews, a research fellow for Talking Points Media, and a contributor to CampusProgress.org. Views expressed here are solely his own. Contact: "jeidelson" at "gmail" dot com.
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Prospect
- American Rights At Work
- Barbara Ehrenreich
- Campus Progress
- Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Change to Win
- Daily Kos
- David Sirota
- Democracy for America
- Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting
- Finnegan's Wake
- Greg Palast
- Hyperempathic Politics
- Human Rights Watch
- Immigrant Worker Freedom Rides
- In All My Years
- Jewish Labor Committee
- Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Labour Start
- Left in the West
- Mah Rabu
- Mother Jones
- National Interfaith Committeee for Worker Justice
- Nathan Newman
- The Nation
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- New Israel Fund
- Progressive States Network
- Progressive Patriots Fund
- Progressive Review
- The Reaction
- Talking Points Memo
- TPM Cafe
- Wal-Mart Watch
- Weapons of Class Instruction
- Working Life
- Kingspawn faults my letter for conflating oppositi...
- A letter I sent a few days ago: To the Editor: I...
- The Boston Globe has an interesting article in its...
- I just wanted to send a shout out to Phoebe for he...
- Bad news for those of us who've been rooting for n...
- A brief aside: Lest anyone missed it, note (belat...
- I have to admit that Howard Dean's email today abo...
- Among the immediately tangible benefits of the fai...
- Hey, I'm Alyssa. I'm a veteran of a whole bunch o...
- So it turns out to be a compromise on judges after...