1/29/2004

A few last thoughts on the South Carolina Democratic Debate: Sharpton is absolutely right to question why for the poor to die for their country abroad is an "honor," but for the rich to pay taxes is a "burden," and to call for a less regressive payroll tax. I'm not sure what Dean was trying to pull off with his critique of Kerry's failed healthcare bills - it felt overly self-conscious and affected, even grasping. Kerry wasn't particularly smooth in responding, but came off better over all in that exchange. I wish I could say that Lieberman's touting welfare reform as the sort of "bipartisan accomplishment" he'd continue lost him my vote, but clearly he never had it in the first place. I do find it sad that the welfare system has been completely off the radar of these debates. I was glad to see Kerry get called on what Brooks called the "inner Moynihan" of some of his '90s rhetoric. He came off quite defensive responding to a statement of his on affirmative action, and preached fealty to the "mend it, don't end it" stance multiple times without allaying any fears about what kind of mending he plans to do.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home