9/18/2006

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Who knew that this site was one of the top Google hits for Paul Eastlund? Answer: Paul Eastlund knows. Two and a half years ago (I know, weird - back when I was nineteen and I had my whole life ahead of me) I posted here about a troublingly unfunny counter-counter-counter-protest celebrated by the Cornell Review and linked approvingly by Jonah Goldberg. Basically, the protesters said we were violating people's rights at Guantanamo, the counter-protesters said they deserved it, the counter-counter-protesters said the counter-protesters were racist, and the counter-counter-counter-protester stuck it to the counter-counter-protesters by saying racist things. Ironically. I made an attempt to lay the tableu out slightly more comprehensibly here. At the time, Jonah Goldberg approvingly quoted a dispatch from Cornell Review Editor Paul Eastlund:
Nick is an uber-conservative who we'd never met before, but who hung out with us pretty much all day, and he is one of the coolest guys I've ever met...Occasionally he shouted things like "Support the Middle East Glass-Making Program" and "They don't deserve 3 meals a day, they deserve a bullet to the head." At one point, a few hecklers decided to pretend they were with us, and shouted "All Muslims are terrorists!" and "Kill all Muslims!" Before we could insist that we weren't saying anything of the sort, Nick responded by shouting "All Muslims are terrorists!" and "Kill all Muslims!" They were dumbfounded. It was pretty hilarious.
Now flash forward two and a half years. We lost an election. We won a community benefits agreement. Paul Simon, twenty years later than Art Garfunkel, fell prey to a sense of personal contentment that's robbed his music of its pathos. My bright college years have come to an end, and now I go to synagogue and get excitedly referred to as part of the "Under 40" crowd. And now, as I sit hunched over my laptop trying to figure out when Aaron Sorkin's new show airs on the West Coast, I find an e-mail sent from far away harking back to long ago. From Paul Eastlund. He asked me to pass the following along (emphasis all mine):
I've clearly come across as the sort of person I would despise, so let me try to clarify. First of all, your post is dead-on: the story, as quoted, is quite indefensible. A handful of staffers and I threw the page describing the counter-protest, containing that anecdote, together in a bit of a hurry. At some point later, I reread it, noticed that anecdote, and reworded it, although the page has been long since deleted. Anyway, it has been too long since the protest for me to remember anything with exactitude, but here's my explanation of the 'joke' that you brought up. We were irked by a display that dramatized injustice to seemingly innocent prisoners at Guantanamo (the actors portraying prisoners were well-groomed, mild-mannered academics who spoke perfect English and had no idea why they had been imprisoned) and implied quite directly that they should be released. We countered with signs that cited favorable facts and quotes about prisoner conditions in Guantanamo, as well as having one of us dress up in a TNT vest and hold up a sign saying "Death to America! Death to the Great Satan! Do you really want me going free?" Plenty of people reacted positively -- not necessarily agreeing with us, but taking the time to debate us civilly -- but some insisted that our display was racist. This irked us because the other Review leadership and I had, amidst some opposition, specifically worked to avoid giving the impression that we were advocating intolerance toward any religion or ethnicity. After having received that sort of complaint for the first day, we had deliberately cast non-Arabs in the "terrorist" role to further distance our message from any sword of religion- or ethnicity-based prejudiced. Regardless, we continued to hear accusations. Nick's response was along the lines of: "No, if we were going to single out Islam, it would be more like this" -- and then he proceeded to demonstrate, briefly. The point was to contrast our display with the sentiments they were accusing us of espousing. Anyway, that's how the story was supposed to have come across. I realize that, in the version you quoted, it didn't, and I apologize for that. I have to agree with you that it's a bit of an alarming oddity that, written as it was, it was palatable to Jonah Goldberg and the many well-wishers who wrote to us before it got changed online. I just wanted to send you this note clarifying, and apologizing for, how it was written before. I've always tried to steer clear of the uglier, race-baiting side of conservatism -- in fact, I was so unpalatably "socially liberal" during my stint at the Cornell Review that a chunk of the staff mutinied and broke off to form the more conservative Cornell American, which focused almost exclusively on issues of race and homosexuality -- and I was alarmed to find myself and the Review indicted on your site for precisely the sort of sentiment I spent much of my career in Cornell politics opposing, and that the Cornell Review in general no longer embodies.
Like you, my first thought upon reading this e-mail was: Someone reads this site who I'm not related to? And my second was: Is it possible that I'm related to Paul Eastlund. Even with Paul's account, the whole episode remains less than savory. And while they may not all have been "well-groomed, mild-mannered academics who spoke perfect English" there were indeed plenty of people at Camp X-Ray with "no idea why they had been imprisoned." But that said, I appreciate Paul's gracious e-mail and I'm glad to see him rebuke the account celebrated on The Corner. I hope he's shared his e-mail as well with Jonah Goldberg, who to my knowledge has said nothing in the intervening couple years to suggest that he sees responding to an accusation of racism by yelling "Kill all Muslims!" as anything other than hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home